Saturday, July 24, 2010

Padre Pio and his spiritual directors


Padre Pio continues to be one of the most amazing people I have ever learned about. He was chosen for a special calling. He received mysterious wounds corresponding to the wounds of Christ, and he received them at the height of prayer, while meditating upon a crucifix. Below is his own recounting of this experience in which he received the "stigmata". It is from a letter dated October 1918.

"On the morning of the 20th of last month (Sept 1918), in the choir, after I had said Mass, I yielded to a drowsiness similar to a sweet sleep. All the internal and external senses and even the very faculties of my soul were immersed in indescribable stillness. Absolute silence surrounded and invaded me. I was suddenly filled with such great peace and abandonment which effaced everything else. All of this happened in a flash. While this was taking place I saw before me a mysterious person similar to the one I had seen on the evening of August 5th. The only difference was that his hands and feet were dripping blood. This sight terrified me and what I felt at that moment is indescribable. I thought I should die and really should have died if the Lord had not intervened and strengthened my heart which was about to burst out of my chest. The vision disappeared and I became aware that my hands, feet and side were dripping blood. Dear Father, I am dying of pain because of the wounds and the resulting embarrassment I feel deep in my soul...."

His spiritual director of course began to address this experience in his own letters to Padre Pio. In a letter of April 13, 1919, Padre Agostino writes to Padre Pio:
"Jesus is now crucified in you and you are crucified in him. His passion is now the continual food of your soul and indeed you can and must exclaim with St. Paul and with our Seraphic Father (St Francis) "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus!" But always remember that the gifts of God, freely given, are also intended for the sanctification of others. Say in favor of all the souls whom Jesus has confided to you: "The grace of Our Lord be with your spirit, brethren. Amen. May my own soul be among the number of these and may the divine will be always accomplished in me, through me and by me. You know the needs of all and Jesus has given you the power to provide a remedy for them. Make use therefore of the great condescension Jesus shows you for the benefit and salvation of our souls."

What is "brought out into the open" through this event in the life of Padre Pio, and through this exchange of correspondance of these educated and experienced men of prayer is the the doctrine of redemptive suffering, cooperative redemption with and in Christ.

Padre Pio participated in this mystery to a prophetic degree. His letters, those which have been preserved, emphasize continual suffering of a very mysterious nature. Every Christian, inspired and transformed by God also must have a will to participate in this core expression of discipleship.

No comments: